Tuesday 12 March 2013

BBC'S The Big Read

Now I'm not saying I'm a thicko, but I can clearly confess to not being very well read.

Apart from reading the whole works of a couple of my favourite authors I stumbled upon, and a few other novels here and there over the years, my reading history stops there.

Part of the whole mid life crisis I seem to be going through at the moment, which involves examining my past years and wondering what the bloody hell I did with my life, and trying to catch up, involves me reading more.  When I started looking into what I had read to what I should have read I could have cried.

So I set myself a challenge [one of many, separate blog to follow] to read as much as possible. However, I want to read the classics, I want to read what people say I should have read by now and I certainly want to read what other normal people consider their favourite reads.  

So I went looking for a list, a book list if you please of what people considered to be the best books of all time. That is when I came across the BBC'S The Big read.  In 2003 they carried out a survey where people voted for their favourite book.  They collected the results and compiled a list of the top 200.

The list can be found here if anyone is interested.

  http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/bigread/

The list is pretty varied, and you can definitely see that a wide age range has voted. I'm not going to list the books individually on this page, but I will be reviewing each book as I knock them off the list. 

You should check it out and count how many you have read, its very interesting, and your total has to be higher then mine.

Are your favourite's missing? What are your favourite's ?  Did they make the list?    



https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg9ANLOXG4J-0A7Z5sx_-DrAifWQLQhdJsDbP7cAKloYgauq7g398nXQwPMrvo2tql5dzUIDhy-f0emTwst1YshIm_l0e9RIg-hJ59KvnpH6pKUjh5mJwfJbtFGjlkEqUISWzRd-eGVxuHo/s320/medium_3287986172.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment