Tuesday 21 May 2013

The Magic Faraway Tree

I'm sorry I'm probably going to upset someone, but I cannot stand 'Enid Bloody Blyton'.

This book took me over two months to finish, because I cannot stand how the woman writes for children. Children are not stupid, not even children in the 1940's or 1950,s or whenever these books were written.

She writes as if all children are morons and need the most basic things explained. I could not stand 'The Famous Five' series either or anything else she ever wrote.

When I saw it on the 'Big Read' list, I was quite surprised it was the only book of hers on there. I know millions of kids buy into the shit she churned out, and imagined the list to be full of her books.

This story was about a magic tree which has different world's that appear briefly at the top of it, that the children and there magical friends visit and get up to high jinx [blahhhh].

There is a saucepan man, and a character called Moonface and God knows what else. Oh and the typical stereotype Janet and John children, that live on a farm and have chores and go on picnics, and do not represent English children in that period at all.

Perhaps I am being unfair, she does appeal to the masses.

Oh Gosh and drat I don't care, she is just a big shit lol.

1 comment:

  1. You calling Enid Blyton 'just a big shit' made me laugh and has made my evening.
    For all her flaws, the Famous Five made a good few years of my childhood, so she will always be in my heart. However, I do understand why people think she's naff.

    ReplyDelete